Archived Why SERVPRO Blog Posts
We are Cleaning Experts in Dekalb County
SERVPRO of Dekalb is Here to Help during this time of need
During this unprecedented time caused by the global pandemic of coronavirus, this is a reminder to our customers that we are specialists in cleaning services, and we adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitation standards.
We are prepared to clean and disinfect your Dekalb home or business, according to protocols set forth by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We have years of experience in dealing with biological contaminants, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff perform on a daily basis.
The CDC encourages cleaning of high-touch surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, light switches, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets and tables. Other spaces mentioned in the CDC’s guidance for commercial spaces include:
- Kitchen/Food Areas
- Retail Spaces
- Water Fountains
- Sales Counters
- Carpets and Rugs
- Stair Handrails
- Elevator Cars
- Playground Equipment
- Fitness Equipment
The CDC recommends usage of a labeled hospital-grade disinfectant with claims against similar pathogens to the coronavirus. Multiple products in the SERVPRO product line carry the EPA-approved emerging pathogens claims. While there is currently no product tested against this particular strain of the coronavirus, we are following all guidelines as provided by the CDC and local authorities.
Call Today for a Proactive Cleaning
If your Dekalb home or business needs deep cleaning services, call the experts today –SERVPRO of Dekalb, 847-578-3900
Learn more about Dekalb.
We Are the Certified Experts in The Dekalb Area
SERVPRO® of Dekalb has been an IICRC certified firm for the past several years. And for nearly five decades, The Institution of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification stands at the forefront teaching trailblazing knowledge required to tackle complex jobs and return normalcy from chaotic environments. They provide the most comprehensive and advanced technical information in the industry. They allow companies like SERVPRO of Dekalb to advance their education and stay ahead of the competition with several IICRC certification options:
- Applied Structural Drying Technician (ASD) is a course designed to teach the effective, efficient, and timely drying of water-damaged structures and contents. It uses comprehensive classroom and hands-on training, in order to facilitate appropriate decision making within a restorative drying environment.
- Carpet Cleaning Technician (CCT) is a course to teach the art and science of carpet cleaning to professional service providers, as well as others in the related industry. Emphasis is placed on the following: practical application, identifying fiber, carpet constructions, style types and finishes, soiling conditions, cleaning science and methodology. This course also covers pre-inspection, basic cleaning chemicals and equipment, and proper cleaning technique.
- Commercial Drying Specialist (CDS) is a course to teach damage inspection and evaluation, workflow management, and process administration. The course also teaches the technical methods of effective and timely drying.
- Fire and Smoke Restoration Technician (FSRT) is a course with a concentration on technical procedure for successfully completing the restoration of a fire and smoke damaged environment. Students will learn how to combine technical procedures with practical approach to managing the job site. These concepts will then teach the students how pricing of the job is created.
- Trauma and Crime Scene Technician (TCST) is a course designed to review the process for inspecting and investigating crime and trauma scenes. This may involve blood and other potentially infectious material. The course will focus on the procedures to follow as well as the precautions that must be taken in such an environment.
- Water Damage Restoration Technician (WRT) is designed to teach restoration personnel that perform remediation work to give them a better concept of water damage, effects, and techniques for drying of structures. This course gives the background to understand the procedures necessary to deal with water losses, sewer backflows, and contamination such as mold.
If your Dekalb home or business is faced with a disaster such as a flood or fire, we are the certified experts who have been properly trained to know exactly what to do. Let SERVPRO of Dekalb apply quality solutions to any type of damage you experienced. We are the 24-hour emergency service and can quickly respond whenever the service is needed. To contact our office for service or any questions call (847) 578-3900.
Learn more about Dekalb
Stop the Spread of Germs in Dekalb County
Flu season is in full swing here in Dekalb County and the spread of germs is on everyone’s mind. During this time, it is important to do our part to help stop the spread of germs. One of the first steps you can take is to keep up with the latest information and news from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). They have emphasized the importance of keeping your surroundings clean and safe which include environments like the workplace, schools, commercial establishments, and homes. Each environment has proactive actions you can take to prevent the spread of germs
Workplace & school safety
- Practice good hygiene. In the workplace, avoid handshakes or use other methods of greeting. You should be keeping your space clean by disinfecting surfaces such as doorknobs, tables, desks, and hand railings.
- Be careful with meetings and travel. If you have the opportunity, use videoconferencing instead of face-to-face meetings. If this is not possible, try to hold your meeting in an open, well-ventilated space. In addition, assess the risk of business travel. Make sure you know how to best prepare for a safe experience at the airport.
- Handle food carefully. This means to limit food sharing and always wash your hands before consuming food. If your workplace has a cafeteria, ensure staff practice strict hygiene
- Stay at home if you are feeling sick
- All Dekalb households should encourage everyone to wash their hands upon entering the home and avoid touching their face
- Disinfect surfaces such as doorknobs, tables, and handrails
- It is suggested for households with sick family members to give them their own room if possible
- Practice good hygiene. To avoid spreading germs in Dekalb, it is recommended to use other methods of greeting people rather than a handshake. At business or commercial establishments, promote tap and pay to limit handling of cash
- Avoid crowds. Being in the presence of crowds increases your chances of catching something. To avoid crowds, use online transactions where possible. If you are someone managing these establishment, consider limiting attendance at larger gatherings
- Be cautious when using public transportation. Taxis, buses, and ride shares are all very common uses of transportation and sometimes it’s hard to avoid using them when it’s your main source of getting from point A to B. Always keep hand sanitizer handy with you to use after you’ve arrived at your destination. It is also recommended to keep windows down if possible to increase ventilation
SERVPRO of Dekalb is “Here to Help” to stop the spread of germs in these environments by providing our proactive cleaning services. As the #1 choice for cleanup and restoration, we have the CDC and EPA approved resources to help you immediately. Call us today to see how we can help clean your home or business: (847) 758-3900.
Mold in Your Dekalb Home? We Got You Covered
Mold. This small word can put a large scare into the eyes of an Dekalb county homeowner. It should because not only does mold look disgusting, it can also cause health effects to you and your family. Did you know there are different classifications for mold?
There are possible health effects when you discover mold in your Dekalb home so it’s important to know how to approach each type of situation. Please consider the following of what to do and what NOT to do when you battle mold in your home:
What NOT to Do
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on mold
What to Do
- Stay out of affected area
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans
- Contact SERVPRO of Dekalb for mold remediation services
Contacting SERVPRO of Dekalb is the best thing you can do for your mold issues because we are able to identify the source of what is causing mold growth and remediate the issues. A common mistake when dealing with mold is only cleaning up the visible mold and calling it a day. Until you fix the source of moisture that is feeding the mold, it will continue to come back no matter what.
Luckily, mold remediation is a cornerstone of our business so you can ensure we will provide you with quality solutions to treat the problem. We are a 24-hour services and ready to service your needs whenever you need us. Feel free to call our office with any questions or schedule your service today (847) 758-3900.
Learn more about Dekalb.
Library needed carpet cleaning
SERVPRO of Dekalb County helped out a small communities library when they had a water job in the basement. They helped to get the building open and that was such a great help to the community as many local organizations use the building. Since the completion of that job the board and staff of the library was so pleased with the work done they knew exactly who to call when they needed the carpets cleaned in the 2500 square foot building. They SERVPRO crews came in over the Christmas Holiday break as the building was closed for that week. They were very efficient and got the job done. All of the staff were very pleased with the crew and that just confirmed why they choose SERVPRO to complete the job.
National Preparedness Month
As we all know, September is National Preparedness Month and here at SERVPRO of DeKalb County we are excited to teach the community tips and tricks as well as advising the community of local events put on for National Preparedness Month. Within DeKalb County, we have a county board for this as well as a division within the health department that also handles things of this nature, both of which host local events and giveaways such as an emergency tote filled with supplies and food.
Being prepared is extremely important at SERVPRO and that is why we always offer to do ERP's for all our customers especially business owners so if a disaster happens, they are prepared to the best of their abilities
Cleaning Bowling Alley
SERVPRO of DeKalb County recently did a carpet cleaning of a local bowling alley. We love helping other local businesses look the best they can. This very popular birthday party spot is heavily trafficked carpet and had several stains that the SERVPRO team was successfully able to remove the stains, making it look better than ever! The bowling alley looks brand new and is back to being the party spot of the town!
Local Award Won
SERVPRO of DeKalb County recently won the DeKalb County President's Silver Award. Steve Bryant was quoted saying, “We are proud to be a member of the SERVPRO franchise family as the company celebrates 50 years of franchising success. SERVPRO’s ongoing commitment to providing innovative tools, ongoing training, and an ever-evolving business framework gives entrepreneurs like us a roadmap for success. We are proud to be part of SERVPRO’s team of dedicated disaster remediation professionals, and to know that we have both the tools and the knowledge to serve home and business owners in our community should the need arise.”
That quote in itself shows how important SERVPRO of DeKalb County sees their community and the dedication they have to ensuring that they are always ready to help when the call comes.
Helping out local daycare
Our local daycare recently needed the rugs and carpets cleaned in the facility. SERVPRO marketing manager Tricia Herrera sits on the board of directors for the facility and knows how tight the budget is. As most of the funding is dependent on the state government there isn't a lot of extra but also as you can imagine the rugs/carpets at a facility like this can get fility fast. SERVPRO owner Steve Bryant wants to help and offered to clean the rugs for them. The exc director was so thrilled with the work that was done she couldn't stop expressing her thanks and gratitude. She was so happy that SERVPRO wanted to be a community partner and assist the kids of the community.
Local Easter Egg Hunt
The local radio station offers a FREE community Easter egg hunt annually for all ages. They couldn't make this a free event without sponsors and community partners. SERVPRO of DeKalb county knows this and has stepped up to be a sponsor in the past years. The event is a huge hit each year and the small community members always appreciate the fact that this event is free and open to all children. They have age categories and a special category for those with special needs. Local businesses like SERVPRO stepping up with their marketing dollars make events like this possible and are another way to spread good will with community members. It is also a time for the franchise to set up a booth and display some of their equipment and truck.
Each SERVPRO franchise values training and SERVPRO of Dekalb County is no exception. Training of our staff new and old happens each and everyday at the franchise. We know that each client and situation is different. Whether its online training or in person training its all valued in the office. Franchise owner Steve Bryant has over 10 years of owning a SERVPRO franchise but has over 25 years in being a small business owner. He knows that training is a valuable tool to make happy customers but also in retaining valued employees. We an employee feels confident in their day to day responsibilities they perform better. The training available from the franchise is not limited to just the outside crew. The office staff also is offered many different pieces of training online or in person.
SERVPRO of Dekalb County knows that networking with other vetted businesses is so important. When referring other businesses you want to make sure that each business is tried and true for the people you refer too! SERVPRO belongs to several chambers and business groups throughout their territory and take pride in each one of them. They participate in events for each chamber and put marketing dollars toward these groups. They know the good that chambers can do and also know that these groups wouldn't be able to do the things they do without the member support. Community is important to SERVPRO of Dekalb County.They have developed a great network of companies and individuals to work with and refer to/from to help enhance their business.
Assistance of local group home
In the SERVPRO of Dekalb County territory there is a group home for trouble youth. They have up to 20 youth in this residence at a time and then they move to a larger home once they have earned the points to move on. They recently called SERVPRO of Dekalb county for what they thought was mold in the basement of the home. They knew that it wouldn't be safe for the residents to be staying there and breathing in potentially hazardous mold. They SERVPRO team went out to the sight and gave the administrators an assessment of the situation. All though they did have a bit of water in the basement what they thought was mold was not. It turned out to be some of the limestone in the basement being discolored. The administrators of this facility were so appreciative that SERVPRO helped them to get real answers and not just charge them for work they didn't need. it was another time the SERVPRO helped out a community program.
Helping move community revitilazation move forward
SERVPRO of Dekalb county is proud of their communities that they serve and is always willing to give time to help those communities. They know that anyone can give money to programs but without volunteers and time toward a project it would fall flat. Many projects in small towns can be completed with some elbow grease and committed volunteers. SERVPRO of Dekalb provides those volunteers without hesitation. They can be found rolling up their sleeves and working hard to improve programs and services throughout communities in DeKalb county. They know that better communities are a benefit for all those that live in them. They know that helping spreads kindness.They have also particpated in the downtown beautification project that starts with something as small as a decorated flower planter to help "spruce up" the area.